The Assynt Skiff group is now Loch Inver Rowing Club
The first meeting of the club was in August 2013
Visit from Ullapool rowing Club 17th August 2015
Interest Register circulated on 29th August 2013
First proper meeting on 26.09.13, Group forms, called ourselves Assynt Skiff group until an agreed name could be decided. Took receipt of an anonymous donation from a member of the community – £3500 to purchase the skiff Kit.
Visit from Coigach sailing club 20th Oct 2013,
Exert from funding request letter.
The aim of the project is to build a Skiff for the Assynt Community with the intention of holding regattas, local, national and eventually international, following the success of the World Skiff Championships in Ullapool. There will be opportunities for people of all ages to become involved with either the build, fundraising or crewing the boat. We hope to have child, youth, adult and older adult teams taking part in regattas, competitively or just for fun as part of a weekly activity.
In September 2013 we were very fortunate to have had a donation of £3500 which covers the initial cost of the Kit and materials. The kit is now here and our build team are have begun a build plan for the winter months.
The benefits of the project we hope will be as follows
- Create a new focus on the harbour for community involvement including participation in weekly training sessions for crew, fundraising for the sustainability of the project and activities including come and try sessions and local regattas with our own community teams and neighbouring sailing clubs.
- Provision of a new activity for youths and adults of all ages enhancing physical and social well being.
- Increase tourism by attracting national and international teams and spectators to annual regattas.
- Increased income generation for community organisations, and private business including accommodation providers and eateries.
- Assist other community groups/charity fundraising events where appropriate.
On April 12th 2014 A race night (horse racing, with a CD) was held to fundraise for materials.
Work was ongoing on the vessel.